Wednesday, May 2, 2007

IDIOMS

1. in over one's head: in a situation that is too much / too difficult for one to manage.

"Do you have time to help me? I thought I could do this myself,
but I'm afraid I'm in over my head. I just can't handle things alone."

2. inside out: with the inner part on the outside and the outer part on the inside.

"Why are you wearing your tee shirt inside out?"

3. in the black: profitable; not showing a financial loss.

"What did you do to increase profit and eliminate losses?
We've been in the black for two months in a row."

4. in the red: unprofitable; showing a financial loss.

"We have to do something to increase profit and decrease losses.
We've been in the red for two months in a row."

5. jump all over someone: severely criticize / find fault with someone.

A: "What's wrong with Joe?"
B: "He's feeling bad because his boss jumped all over him this morning."

6. jump the gun: do something before it's time to do it.

A: "How did Marsha know about the party? It was supposed to be a surprise."

B: "Chuck jumped the gun. Without thinking, he said, 'I'm bringing the cake at your party;
I hope you like it!"

7. jump to conclusions: decide something too quickly and without thinking about it or considering all the facts.

A: "Angela just doesn't like me. She won't even say hello."
B: "You're jumping to conclusions. Actually, she's very shy."

8. keep one's chin up: remain brave and confident in a difficult situation;
don't despair or worry too much.

"I know that things have been difficult for you recently,
but keep your chin up. Everything will be better soon."

9. keep one's nose to the grindstone: stay diligent; steadily work hard,
without breaks or an uneven pace.

"If I keep my nose to the grindstone, I should be finished by the end of the day."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Monte Phil
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/fiesta-party-supplies.html]fiesta Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a great quality forum!
I was sure this is a perfect way to introduce myself!
The only right way compile wealth it is usually a smart plan to begin a savings or investing plan as early in life as possible. But don't worry if you have not began saving your money until later on in life. Through honest work, that is analyzing the best investment vehicles for your assets you can slowly but surely increase your property so that it numbers to a large sum by the period you want to retire. Watch all of the applicable asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A smartly diversified portfolio of investments in a wide range of asset classes may make your money build throughout the years.

-Chandra Clavette
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency conversion [/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike