Monday, May 7, 2007

IDIOMS

1. a let-down: a disappointment; something that's very disappointing.

"It must've been quite a let-down not to be chosen for that job.
I know you really hoped you would get it."

2. Let sleeping dogs lie.: Don't cause problems by doing something when it isn't necessary.

"I know that what Julie said made you angry, but let sleeping dogs lie.
If you say or do anything, you'll only make things worse."

3. live from hand to mouth: survive on very little money; have only enough money
to pay for basic needs.

"Chuck and Alice are living from hand to mouth since Chuck lost his job."

4. live and let live: don't unnecessarily make things difficult;
do as you wish and let others do as they wish.

"I'm not going to criticize Alice's family just because their habits
are a little strange. My motto is 'Live and let live.'"

5. make a mountain out of a molehill: make something seem much more important than it really is.

"Calm down. There's really nothing to worry about.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill."

6. make up one's mind: decide what to do.

A: Where are you going on your vacation?
B: Maybe Canada, maybe Mexico. I can't make up my mind."

7. nuke: heat in a microwave.

"If your coffee's cold, just nuke it for about a minute."

8. nuts: crazy.

A: "Stuart says some really strange things sometimes."
B: "Sometimes? All the time! He's nuts!"

9. on the) cutting edge: using the most recent technology.

"The university's computer lab is (on the) cutting edge. It has
all the latest hardware and software."

10. over one's head: too difficult or complicated for someone to understand.

"This explanation of cgi scripting is over my head.
Can you explain it in a less technical way?"

11. pay the piper: face the consequences for something you've done.

"I stayed up too late tonight. Tomorrow I'll have to pay the piper."

12. pull someone's leg: tease someone by trying to make her/him believe something
that's exaggerated or untrue.

A: "Wow! Carl has done some really amazing things!"
B: "Don't believe everything he tells you. He was probably pulling your leg."

13. Zip your lip!: keep something secret; promise not to tell what has just been said.

"What I told you is really important, so zip your lip!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would love to mention that this post extremely forced me to try and do therefore! really nice post. thanks, here's a similar subject you'll like [url=http://corina33.tumblr.com/post/1362740947/some-great-benefits-of-owning-a-natural-light-alarm]Digital Clocks[/url]