Friday, April 27, 2007

IDIOMS

1. have something down pat: know/understand something completely and thoroughly.

"I know I did well on the test. I had all the material down pat."

2. get one's wires crossed: be confused or mistaken about something.

A: "Bill said there was a meeting this morning. Don't we have one?"
B: "No. The meeting's tomorrow. I guess Bill got his wires crossed."

3. get out of hand: become out of control; become badly managed.

"Your absences are getting out of hand, Bob. You'd better do something quickly to improve the situation if you want to keep your job."

4. go with the flow: take things as they come.

"There's no need to worry. Everything will be OK if you just go with the flow."

5. grab a bite: get something to eat.

"I'm really hungry. Would you like to grab a bite with me?"

6. head honcho: person in charge; top boss.

"Dave's the head honcho of the ESL Cafe on the Web."

7. hit the books: study.

"I wish I could go to the movies, but I've got to hit the books."

8. hit the hay: go to bed; go to sleep.

"It's late, so I guess I'll hit the hay."

9. hit the sack: go to bed.

"I'm really tired. I think I'll hit the sack."