Saturday, April 21, 2007

TWO SHORT POEMS BY SHEL SILVERSTEIN

NOBODY by Shel Silverstein


Nobody loves me,

Nobody cares,

Nobody picks me peaches and pears.

Nobody offers me candy and Cokes,

Nobody listens and laughs at me jokes.

Nobody helps when I get in a fight,

Nobody does all my homework at night.

Nobody misses me,

Nobody cries,

Nobody thinks I'm a wonderful guy.

So if you ask me who's my best friend, in a whiz,

I'll stand up and tell you that Nobody is.

But yesterday night I got quite a scare,

I woke up and Nobody just wasn't there.

I called out and reached out for Nobody's hand,

In the darkness where Nobody usually stands.

Then I poked through the house, in each cranny and nook,

But I found somebody each place that I looked.

I searched till I'm tired, and now with the dawn,

There's no doubt about it-

Nobody's gone!


VOCABULARY

in a whiz
in each cranny and nook
dawn

QUESTIONS

1. After reading the poem, how do you think the person was feeling, and why?

2. What does the person realize about being alone? How do you know?

3. Write about a time you might have felt alone and in need of a friend. How did you feel? Who made you feel better and how did you do it? If you never felt alone before, or even if you have, how could you help someone who may feel this way?

***********************************************************************************

NOTE: the next poem uses the word "bear." Here it does not mean "to carry". What does it mean? Hint: it's a noun.

BEAR IN THERE by Shell Silverstein

There's a Polar Bear
In our Frigidaire--
He likes it 'cause it's cold in there.
With his seat in the meat
And his face in the fish
And his big hairy paws
In the buttery dish,
He's nibbling the noodles,
He's munching the rice,
He's slurping the soda,
He's licking the ice.
And he lets out a roar
If you open the door.
And it gives me a scare
To know he's in there--
That Polary Bear
In our Fridgitydaire

VOCABULARY

polar
Frigidaire (Why is Frigidaire capitalized? Do you know the word "trademark"?)
nibbling
munching
slurping
roar

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who passions to taste unused stuff. Presently I am building my private pv panels. I'm managing it all alone without the assistance of my men. I'm using the internet as the only way to acheive that. I encountered a truly awesome website which explains how to create photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The place explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure about how accurate the info given there iz. If some experts over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the thread it will be grand and I would really appreciate it, because I extremely would love to try solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You guys are the best.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I dream the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you send, wish look audacious in behalf of more cognate articles soon as its one of my pet topic to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

Nice, Nice Baby!