Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Idioms

MANY MANY MORE IDIOMS THAN JUST THE ONES BELOW CAN BE FOUND AT www.eslcafe.com

HERE ARE A FEW VERY COMMON IDIOMS FROM THE "B" SECTION OF esl.cafe.com

1. beat around the bush: evade an issue; avoid giving a direct answer.

"Quit beating around the bush! If you don't want to go with me, just tell me!"

2. bent out of shape: needlessly worried about something.

"I know you're worried about your job interview, but don't get bent out of shape. You'll do just fine."

3. the bottom line: the most essential information.

"The discussion lasted many hours. The bottom line was that
the XYZ Company isn't for sale."

4. Break a leg!: Good luck!

"I understand you have a job interview tomorrow. Break a leg!"

5. burn the midnight oil: study/work all night or until very, very late at night.

"I'm not ready for the test tomorrow. I guess I'll have to
burn the the midnight oil."

6. bite off more than one can chew: take responsibility for more than one can manage.

"I'm really behind with my project. Can you help me? I'm afraid I
bit off more than I could chew!"

7. be up and running: (for a technological process) be operational; be ready to use.

"Dave's ESL Cafe on the Web has been up and running since December 1995."

No comments: